Retro back-to-school baby shirt

Back from some lovely R&R in Italy and France… Axel is starting daycare part-time this week and I thought this little shirt I made had a bit of a back-to-school feel to it.

As you can see I’m a bit fixated on the blue chambray and red gingham combo ;)

I’ve bought KAM snaps in many different colors as well as the special tool you need to install them and boy do I love those things! No more tedious buttonhole sewing for me! They add a very cute touch to children clothing I think, and they make dressing a wriggly toddler much easier!

Retro Skirt

~~

Quand il s’agit de couture, il y a une étape que je trouve vraiment très pénible: Le Patron.

Déplier correctement le papier hyper fin, trouver la bonne taille, avoir assez de place pour étaler tout le coupon bien comme il faut, découper le tissu sans se tromper de sens etc… Bref, très souvent tout ça m’ennuie beaucoup et je m’impatiente…  Et je finis donc par bidouiller mon propre patron, en prenant de très grands risques parce que dans ces cas-là on ne pense pas toujours à tous les détails et on peut faire de très grosses bêtises…

~~

Et bien là, ma foi, je suis très, mais alors très contente de mon petit modèle maison!

Le coupon vient d’un magasin de charité style “Armée du Salut” et je suis sûre que c’est de la laine vu comme j’ai dû slalomer entre les trous de mites!! Bref, je ne prenais pas trop de risque, ce n’est pas comme de tailler dans un coupon de Liberty, vous voyez??

~~

When it comes to sewing, I usually get really frustrated with the first step: unfolding, figuring out and pinning the pattern pieces to the fabric correctly. For some reason, I get really impatient and more often than not, I end up putting away the pattern and improvising something on the spot. Very risky strategy, as it’s tough to think of all the details ahead of time and you can end up with a big mess…

Well, this time around, I’m actually very happy with my little homemade design! I bought the fabric in a thrift store, and given all the moth holes I had to cut around, I’m pretty certain it’s wool ;) Anyway, I wasn’t risking any fancy fabric on this experiment…

~~

skirtfront41

~~

~~

skirtside skirtback

~~

Donc voilà la bête, un peu rétro comme j’aime, je me suis bien amusée à jouer avec les rayures. Elle est légèrement trop grande — tombe un peu sur les hanches, mais ce n’est pas plus mal comme ça…  Une jupette bien sympa pour finir l’hiver!

~~

In the end, I think the gamble paid off, I really like the fit (it’s just a tad bigger than I wanted it to be, but still ok), and love the retro flair…. I had fun playing with the stripes of the fabric, as you can see!

Self-designed Holly(wood)berry top

Not easy to take decent photos when Gabe is nowhere in sight!

Not easy to take decent photos when Gabe is nowhere in sight!

Taking this picture was *much* harder than it looks!

Taking this picture was *much* harder than it looks!

Hello, this is my boob

Hello, this is my boob

~~

Bon, je sais ce que vous allez me dire, ce top n’est pas vraiment de saison, mais BON. Los Angeles me manque, alors j’ai fait un truc un peu glamour/Hollywood. J’ai même mis des boutons un peu Art Déco, noirs avec des strass au milieu.

~~

Au niveau de la construction, j’ai tricoté le torse en rond avec des diminutions à la taille pour qu’il soit bien ajusté. Puis j’ai fait le haut en deux parties symetriques que j’ai ensuite cousues au bas. Et c’est là que je ferais les choses différemment si c’était à refaire: j’ai vraiment vu trop grand pour le haut, et ça fronce un peu trop à la jonction avec le bas. Pour ce qui est des bretelles, c’est du point de riz tout bête.

~~

Voilà, et comme la laine (un mélange coton/modal) tient son nom de la jolie couleur qu’ont les baies du houx, j’ai appelé ma création Hollyberry Top. Comme ça, ça passe mieux au niveau marketing, héhé!

~~

~~

I know, I know, this top isn’t really in season… Maybe it’s because I miss California. I thought this top had a bit of a Hollywood/glam flavor, so I added some “Art Deco” style buttons with rhinestones on them.

~~

As far as the construction, the torso is knit in the round with a few decreases to get an adjusted fit. The top part is made out of two symmetrical panels, which I then sewed onto the seed stitch edging of the torso. The straps are also in seed stitch.I’m quite happy with this top, the only thing I would modify if I were to make another version, is that I would make the breast panels smaller in width and length. The fabric is bound to stretch, and I’m not crazy about the shirring that I got at the junction with the bottom part. But this is an easy enough fix.

~~

I named this top after the yarn I used, Knitpicks Shine Worsted in Hollyberry. How’s that, for a seasonal tie-in!

~~

dsc_01391 dsc_0142

~~