I’ve finally finished Nob Hill, which until a couple days ago had been a sad-looking, unloved black rag full of holes (I was afraid of running out of yarn, so I changed balls of yarn mid-row several times, a big no-no, of course).
I couldn’t decide what to do about the contrasting color for the longest time… Spending money on yarn in order to finish this seemingly doomed project was an unappealing proposition. The main reason I even started this pattern is that I wanted to use up this big pile of semi-acrylic fat black yarn that my mom had given me (my little brother had picked it out, requesting a scarf, but then decided he wasn’t into it.)
So the yarn was definitely not anybody’s favorite, and there is a reason for that. It’s really unpleasant to knit – maybe this is just me, I really dislike knitting with huge needles in general. But this yarn also seems to attract all kinds of cat hairs, fuzz and crumbs (I suppose my house hasn’t been the cleanest lately). Fortunately for everybody else, it appears to be discontinued (I checked just because I came really close to running out).
Anyway, I finally decided it was worth purchasing a ball of Thick & Quick Wool-Ease at Joann’s, and I’m happy I didn’t give up on Nob Hill, because now that I see it in photos, I think it looks decent, maybe I’ll wear it, we’ll see.
- Pattern: Knitty Spring 2008’s Nob Hill
- Yarn: MC: Lang La Paz, in black, maybe 8 balls? I forget. CC: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick, 1 ball.
- Needles: US 13 circulars
- Time to complete: about 3 weeks, but could have been done in a few hours.
- Modifications: The main modification was that I used the reverse stockinette as the right side, just because stockinette knit this big didn’t look good to me. I saw on example of this on Ravelry and I really liked the idea. Of course, the shrug tends to curve inward instead of outward, which I don’t like as much ,but it still works.
- Bottom Line: I’m not sure I know what to say about this pattern. I messed up a few times. I think I forgot one of the * to * repetition on the front sides, I also didn’t pick up the right number of stitches for the sleeves, but I thought that since my fit was meant to be approximative anyway, it wouldn’t matter too much. In general, there was something about the way the pattern was written that confused me a bit, or maybe I was annoyed by the yarn and I’m taking it out on the pattern.
- I may change the button, it’s the only one I had that was big enough, but I think I’ll try to find a more interesting one. What else to say… I like the two colors together, and I really like how the collar sits on the neckline. The sleeves are ok, a bit like an outerspace costume, but not too bad.
- As you may had guessed from the photos I totally bypassed blocking this. Just the thought of this big soggy shrug…
(Linked here from Craftster.) I’ve been in your shoes (nay,shrug). I knit the Ribbed Shrug from Fitted Knits. I had great yarn and guage, but the needles seemed too big and make the st stitch seem too loose. I like it okay, but I’m almost apathetic about it. That said, I think the reverse st was a good choice. If I may chime in and suggest a button, I’d go with a wooden toggle. Also, have to agree with another commenter, the uncle is smoking hot.
I’m glad you decided to keep going. I think it looks very good. And remember, those yarns we hate, sometimes we come to love.
Waow loved reading your article. I submitted your rss to my google reader!